The purpose of this website/ information is to promote public awareness/ protection, prevent
you and those close to you from the potential dangers posed by individuals who have committed
sex offences in the past and to deter sex offenders from offending/re-offending.
Any criminal actions taken by persons against these offenders,
may result in arrest and prosecution of those persons.
Safety For Women
Australian Politicians/ Contacts
Body found after siege ends in Glenroy involving Antonio 'Mad Dog' Loguancio
UPDATE: A MARATHON siege involving Antonio Loguancio has ended as police confirm after a body was found in a bungalow in Glenroy this evening.
Deputy Commissioner Tim Cartwright said a coroners investigation is now underway following the siege in Justin Ave, which started at 7pm on Friday.
"Unfortunately we have now located the body of a man at the rear of the premise," Deputy Commissioner Cartwright said.
"This is a tragedy ... our aim is to resolve with minimal injury and loss of life.. to protect the police members involved and the public."
He said it was "not the outcome police had hoped for" and that the matter is now with the coroner.
Smoke had earlier been seen billowing from the property in Justin Ave after a series of loud bangs were heard just before 2pm.
Police had made demands over a loudspeaker for Loguancio to give himself up.
Sirens began blaring about 12.15pm, police asking over a loudspeaker: "Come to the front door with nothing in
your hands. Walk down the driveway and you will be met by police."
Onlookers are descending on the scene with officers forced to tell several to move on.
Residents are being escorted in and out of their homes for safety.
Earlier, Superintendent Peter O'Neill said an exhausted Loguancio was fearful of returning to jail.
He said police were in regular contact with Loguancio, who had spoken to police over the phone as recently as about 7am.
A powerful police presence remains at the scene, which is still blocked off to the public, with the ambulance and fire
brigade on standby as the standoff enters its third day.
The scene is now quiet after sirens were intermittently sounded throughout the night.
Last night, police confirmed Loguancio was seen with something strapped to his body.
The 40-year-old was seen with the object when he approached the door about 3pm in his bungalow in a quiet street in Melbourne's north.
Loguancio was cornered by police at 7pm on Friday.
Childhood friend Cindy Shaw, at the scene, said: "I tried to get a message through but they (police) just want him
calm at the moment - he's getting tired."
"I just want to get him to chill, come out hopefully, and all this can be over."
Ms Shaw said Loguancio was misunderstood.
"He has always looked after me," she said. "I was like his little sister. He was always kind and we had a lot of fun."
Ms Shaw said everyone wanted the siege to end safely.
"I just want it to end," she said. "I want him to come out and just be safe. Everyone who cares about him wants him to just be all right."
Resident Sue Blake, who lives just three doors away from the siege house, said she hadn't slept since the drama began on Friday night.
"I feel safe with the police around us but I feel scared with the situation happening here," she said.
Ms Blake said she had heard police negotiators trying to talk Loguancio into surrendering.
"They are just trying to keep him calm and tell him to come out - it will be ok, it's solvable. I am very impressed."
Police said he had not been given any food. It was unclear if he had slept since the standoff began.
Police were blowing a loud siren about 6 o'clock last night to keep Loguancio awake.
A robot was seen entering the property to assess the situation.
Victoria Police Superintendent Dean Stevenson said Loguancio was having mood swings.
"He did come out at some stage with something strapped to him, but we haven't been able to establish if that was a
firearm or not," Supt Stevenson said.
"It was either on his arm or on his chest."
He did not confirm if police knew whether Loguancio had taken drugs.
Police wanted him to surrender peacefully and to take him to a police station, Supt Stevenson said.
"He will get an opportunity to see his family, opportunity to see a solicitor, to talk to a solicitor, an opportunity to talk
to whoever he would like to talk to back at that police station," he said.
"We want to negotiate a peaceful resolution, we don't want anyone hurt out of this." Police have been pursuing Loguancio after
an alleged assault on a woman a week ago.
Loguancio's best friend, Mick Collett, who was in regular phone contact with the fugitive, said Loguancio feared police would
shoot him and did not want to go to jail.
Mr Collett said Loguancio was a night owl and had no intention of ending the siege.
"He just doesn't want to go to jail for something he didn't do - that's all it is," Mr Collett told the Sunday Herald Sun.
Loguancio's mother and sister were at the scene, but it was believed he had refused to speak to either of them.
Mr Collett said Loguancio should be enjoying a day at the Avalon Air Show with him instead of being under police siege.
John Lawrie, who described himself as Loguancio’s 'surrogate brother', said he knows him as a lovable man and a big kid but
has urged Loguancio to come out immediately.
''Just do yourself a favour...Just come out peacefully,''Mr Lawrie said.
Joe Greco, 54, whose Maude St property is directly behind the scene of the siege, said two armed Special Operations
Group officers had jumped his fence on Friday night and continued to man the area.
"They explained they were police officers and said, 'Oh, this shouldn't be long' but then at about 10pm one of
them told me it was confirmed he's got a shotgun," Mr Greco said.
"The whole neighbourhood has to be inconvenienced because of some actions.
"Out of all the places in Victoria this guy had to come and get held-up, it's at the back of mine."
Glenroy resident Craig Jackson, 49, said he wanted police to end the siege.
"They are playing to his every need and these poor people are trapped and can't leave their homes," he said.
On Thursday, police appealed for help finding Loguancio after he allegedly assaulted his partner and breached a court-imposed supervision order.
The assault happened five days earlier but police defended the decision not to go public sooner.
They believed Loguancio could be caught because he was a "creature of habit".
A man at the scene yesterday who claimed to know Loguancio said he wouldn't give up without a fight.
"I'm staying here to see what happens," he said. "It won't be pretty.
"He's not going back to jail, he told me that."
It is understood the man, who would not be named, had already been interviewed by police.
A friend said he hoped he could talk Loguancio out of doing something reckless.
Herald Sun (3-3-2013)
Jessica Evans/ Wes Hosking
Serial rapist Antonio Loguancio had five-day head start
A sadistic rapist on the run after a vicious assault on his girlfriend has been in contact with police overnight.
Assistant Commissioner Steve Fontana said officers were in touch with fugitive Antonio Loguancio, 40.
They are appealing for him to hand himself without incident.
He said police did not know where he was in hiding.
Assistant Commissioner Fontana said Loguancio was in a serious unstable psychological condition, fluctuating between comments about self-harm and threats to the public and police.
"He's been quite agitated and we urge him just to surrender," Mr Fontana told 3AW.
"Our focus is really on just trying to get Antonio to give himself up."
Loguancio, whose sickening violence has seen him dubbed Mad Dog, was on bail on weapons and drugs charges when he allegedly attacked his de facto at the weekend.
But those charges were not enough to land him back in jail for breaching a court supervision order under the Serious Sexual Offenders Act.
A warrant has now been issued for his arrest for breaching the order, made last March after his parole for rape expired.
A judge then found he presented a danger of committing further sex crimes.
Supervision orders can be imposed on criminals thought to be an unacceptable risk of committing further sex crimes.
There are no equivalent supervision orders for violent offenders.
Police believe Loguancio may be in the Heidelberg, Dandenong or inner city areas, and may be driving a 1998 blue Ford Fairmont sedan, registered ZAY-968.
Senior police defended their decision not to go public about Loguancio's disappearance until five days after the attack on his partner.
Commander Doug Fryer said police had been confident of arresting him quickly, as he was a "creature of habit".
The new Victoria Police fugitive squad has been assigned to find him.
"Mr Loguancio has a significant history with Victoria Police; indeed, he has a significant criminal history," Mr Fryer said.
Commander Fryer speaks on the hunt for Loguancio
Loguancio had been due to face a magistrate this month on more than 10 charges, including assaulting police.
In October, he was allegedly caught carrying a controlled weapon. In November he was nabbed for possessing and carrying a controlled weapon.
In January more charges involving weapons, assaulting police and cannabis possession were laid, after an incident in which police used capsicum spray to subdue him.
He allegedly attacked an officer in a street confrontation in Melbourne's north.
Warrants have been issued for the alleged assault and the breach of the supervision order, which was a failure to comply with drug-testing conditions.
Loguancio's supervision order was to last five years, but it can be reviewed after three years.
A former police officer who had dealings with Loguancio was surprised that the charges in recent months did not see him locked up under the supervision order.
"People are being paid big dollars to stop this occurring," he said.
Apart from his rape convictions, Loguancio also has at least 22 convictions for assault-related offences.
The State Government said last night there were no plans to introduce supervision orders for violent offenders.
A government spokesman, James Talia, said violent criminals could already be given longer-than-usual prison sentences to protect the public.
"Extended Supervision Orders were developed to respond to the unique pathology of serious sex offenders," he said.
Loguancio fought the strict conditions the Corrections Department had sought to impose under the supervision order.
It asked that he live at the so-called "Village of the Damned" at Ararat, which houses other rapists and paedophiles on supervision orders.
There he could have been ordered to wear a monitoring bracelet.
It urged a ban on visits to his home or overnight stays by women, without parole board permission.
But Judge Jane Patrick, who made the order on March 16, said the condition was "too wide, too vague, too restrictive and impractical".
She said that it would not prevent his re-offending outside of his own residence.
Judge Patrick said she could not be satisfied Loguancio was a psychotic sexual sadist, but there was no doubt that the order was needed.
"The likelihood is, in my view, that future sexual offending would involve rape or other non-consensual sexual activity accompanied by violence," Judge Patrick said.
Corrections Victoria said the state had one of the nation's toughest post-sentence supervision schemes, and "as soon as the department received evidence that there may be an escalated risk, it fast-tracked a warrant for Mr Loguancio's arrest".
Herald Sun (1-3-2013)
Mark Buttler, Elissa Hunt
Sadistic rapist's plea for freedom
One of the state's most dangerous criminals is begging authorities for another chance at freedom.
Sadistic rapist Antonio Christopher Loguancio, 38, was three years ago given early release from prison.
Loguancio, nick-named Mad Dog, repaid that faith with more crimes, including weapon and ammunition offences, and was locked up for breaching parole.
He is seeking leniency when the Adult Parole Board reviews his case next month, hoping to be out before his latest possible release date early next year.
The worst of Loguancio's sex crimes were so depraved the Herald Sun has chosen not to publish the details.
He was jailed for a maximum of 12 years in 1998 over a 19-month rampage of rape and violence.
The 38-year-old's female victim was punched, kicked and beaten with wood.
Loguancio shot arrows at her, choked her with a belt and, on one occasion, while armed with a pump-action shotgun, forced her to her knees and pulled her head back by her hair while telling her she was dead.
Loguancio has a broad range of convictions, including six counts of rape, five of intentionally causing injury, four of making threats to kill and 12 of common assault.
Despite his litany of sick deeds, Loguancio can be a smooth talker and grew close to a female prison guard while doing time for the rapes.
After his 2007 release he moved in with the woman but it is believed their relationship has ended.
Police and fellow prisoners have told the Herald Sun Loguancio should get no more chances.
One man who did time with Loguancio said he was a "time bomb" who should have to serve the rest of his sentence.
"Do not let this man out," the former prisoner said.
He said Loguancio never accepted his wrongdoing.
"He denies all that. It never happened. He was set up. He's shown not one skerrick of remorse," the former inmate said.
Sources say Loguancio's extreme behaviour was starkly demonstrated years ago when, after being arrested, he became angry at investigators' insistence he submit to finger-printing.
He broke his own fingers on a desk in an interview room to avoid the printing and was taken to hospital.
An officer who had extensive dealings with Loguancio said he was unpredictable and not to be trusted.
"He's the most dangerous man I've ever met," the former detective said.
"I've dealt with a lot of bad people. Even the hardest crook would be careful about this bloke."
Adult Parole Board general manager David Provan said Loguancio's case was considered on December 15.
A progress report was ordered for six months, meaning his case will be reviewed in a fortnight. Loguancio's latest parole breach would be a factor in any decision, Mr Provan said.
"Previous performance on parole is a key consideration by the board when assessing a prisoner's suitability ... " he said.
Herald Sun (31-5-2011)
Listing Australian Convicted Paedophiles/ Sex Offenders/ Child Killers..
FREE Public Service..
Safety For Women
Sex Offenders- Electronic Tagging
Victim Assistance/ eferral
Copyright © MAKO
2011. All Rights Reserved.