Australian News

The purpose of this website/ information is to promote public awareness/protection, prevent you and those close to you from the potential dangers posed by individuals who have committed sex offences in the past and to deter sex offenders from offending/ re- offending. Any criminal actions taken by persons against the offenders named within this site, may result in arrest and prosecution of those persons.

Home    About MAKO    Services    Contact    Prevention    MAKO/Files    Community Notification    Report    Referral    Profile's    Facts/ Stats    Online Dangers    Child Safety    MAKO Petitions    Research/ Resources    Books    DNA Info
Safety For Women    News/ Articles    Your Comments    Australian Politicians/ Contacts    Join    Sponsors    Donations    Links

Mentally-ill Naden hit with new charge

Former bush fugitive Malcolm Naden is too mentally ill to make an informed plea as he faces a second count of murder over the death of his cousin, a Sydney court has heard.
Just months after an extensive manhunt saw Naden captured by police in March, the 38-year-old was charged with a fresh count of murder during a brief court appearance at Sydney's Central Local Court on Tuesday.
According to court documents, police allege that between 9.30pm on the 4th of January 2005 and 7am the following day Naden murdered his cousin, Lateesha Nolan.
Ms Nolan disappeared after dropping two of her four children off at her grandparents' home in West Dubbo and her body has never been found.
It is the second murder the former abattoir worker has been charged with.
He is also accused of killing 24-year-old mother of two Kristy Scholes, who was found dead just days before Naden disappeared.
But Naden - who appeared via audio-visual link from Long Bay prison on Tuesday - is not well enough to enter a plea on either count, his lawyer Mark Ierace SC said.
"There is a concern as to his mental health," Mr Ierace told the court.
"The only plea at this stage could not be an informed plea," he said, adding that Naden was having difficulty with his medication.
Naden was captured on March 22 in a remote area near Gloucester in the Upper Hunter region, after years of being on the run.
While hiding out in the bush, it is alleged he broke into several properties between 2007 and 2012, stealing thousands of items of food and clothing, as well as several weapons.
According to court documents, among the items taken were beer, 5kg of raw cashews, a semi-automatic rifle and a book titled Dreams.
Naden has also been charged with two counts of aggravated indecent assault on a 12-year-old girl and the attempted murder of a police officer at Nowendoc on December 7, 2011.
Speaking outside court on Tuesday, NSW homicide squad commander Detective Superintendent Michael Willing said police believed they had enough evidence to lay the fresh charge.
"In relation to Lateesha's body we will continue to investigate the matter, and if there is sufficient evidence to locate it we will certainly follow it," he told reporters.
NSW Police Minister Michael Gallacher said it was welcome news for Ms Nolan's family.
"Now they are getting some ability to get information back to them about Lateesha," he said.
Ms Nolan's father, Mick Peet, said he hoped the fresh charge would help bring an end to his family's wait for answers.
"I've been waiting seven years for some form of justice for Lateesha, and today is a giant step in that direction, so we're just pleased that something is being done," he told the ABC.
The matter has been adjourned until October 16.

www.news.com.au (7-8-2012)

Fugitive Malcolm Naden captured by police in NSW

Australia's most wanted man Malcolm Naden has been charged with the murder of Kristy Scholes at Dubbo, in western New South Wales, almost seven years ago.
Ms Scholes, 24, was found dead in a bedroom of a house in Bumblegumbie Road, Dubbo, on June 23, 2005.
Naden has been charged with her murder, as well as two counts of aggravated indecent assault of person under 16 over an incident involving a 15-year-old girl at Dubbo in 2004; and shoot with intent to murder over the incident involving police officer at Nowendoc on 7 December 2011.
He made a brief court appearance at Taree Court where he did not apply for bail. It was formally refused and he will face court again on April 24.
This morning the 38-year-old left Manning Base Hospital, in Port Macquarie, northeast NSW, surrounded by police in riot gear with his ankles shackled and a bandage around his lower left leg.
The fugitive "master bushman" was nabbed just after midnight on a private property near Gloucester, in the state's mid-north, ending a seven-year search.
Police surrounded the house and arrested Naden after he tried to escape through a back door.
Naden was bitten on the lower left shin by a police dog during the scuffle and an officer also sustained minor wrist injuries.
He was taken to hospital shortly after 11am and released about an hour later after the wound was restitched.
Police sources said that Naden was going to be given McDonald's for breakfast.
The fugitive was found at a private property 30 kilometres west of Gloucester with police from the Tactical Operations Unit and Dog Unit making the arrest about 12.04am.
No police officers were injured during the arrest.
A rifle was seized at the scene, but police are yet to determine if this is the same weapon recently stolen from a Gloucester home.
A full scale search is being performed around the area to find any other items Mr Naden may have used while in hiding.
The arrest ends a multi-million dollar search operation across the state's north.
NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione thanked local residents for their assistance and the efforts of the officers investigating.
"The arrest of this man this morning marks the end of a very difficult and lengthy investigation and search operation by NSW Police," Mr Scipione said.
"This result could not have been achieved without the cooperation of communities in northern NSW whose assistance and vital information has helped police over a long period of time. People in those communities deserve praise for their assistance and their perseverance.
"Today's arrest also is a tribute to the many different elements of the NSW Police Force who have come together and operated in a very tough environment," Mr Scipione said.
"I want to pay tribute to those people from the Tactical Operations Unit, the Dog Unit, the Air Wing, our general duties police and other specialist units whose work has been invaluable. Everyone who contributed can stand tall."
The Commander of Strike Force Durkin, Assistant Commissioner Carlene York, said police never lost confidence in their operation.
"We never doubted that we could get to this point," Ms York said.
"Our people were operating in extremely difficult conditions and we had to adapt our strategies along the way.
"However, we always understood that every day brought us closer and that our tactics would prevail. This was a game of patience and I am very proud of everyone involved.
"The fact that we have made an arrest today without any harm to members of the public or police officers gives me a lot of comfort."

Herald Sun (22-3-2012)
Leigh van den Broeke


Wanted man- Malcolm John Naden

Police officer shot in sniper attack by New South Wales' most wanted man Malcolm Naden

Double murderer Malcolm Naden was ready to shoot it out with police rather than be captured alive after seven years on the run.
As police closed in on the state's most wanted man yesterday, he opened fire, hitting an officer in the shoulder, The Daily Telegraph reported.
"We know what he is willing to do," Commissioner Andrew Scipione said.
Dozens of specialist police thought they had cornered Naden at a campsite in dense bushland near Nowendoc, east of Tamworth, about 7am.
"Police were converging from a number of angles when they were fired upon," acting Deputy Police Commissioner Dave Hudson said.
Only one shot was fired, and police did not return fire as it was impossible to know where the shot had come from.
"His propensity for violence against police is well known but we are confident of getting him," Mr Hudson said.
The injured officer, 33, from the State Protection Group, was flown to Newcastle's John Hunter Hospital. He is expected to make a full recovery.
Naden, who has a $100,000 bounty on his head, is a master bushman and has proven extremely elusive.
"He is skilled in bushcraft and living off the land," Mr Hudson said. Naden is suspected of being involved in the suspected murder of his cousin Lateesha Nolan in early 2005 and the murder of Kristy Scholes about six months later.
The latest manhunt was sparked after police found his fingerprints at a number of houses which had been broken into in the area. Police said the wanted man had stolen at least three guns.
Senior homicide police ordered a media blackout so Naden was not tipped off about the breakthrough in their seven-year hunt for the former abattoir worker and pig shooter.
It is understood a wallet belonging to Lateesha Nolan was found last month in the Macquarie River at Dubbo.
Police are confident Naden is alone, and that he never stops in one place for more than a day.
"It is rare for him to put his head down twice in the same spot," Mr Hudson said.

The Daily Telegraph (8-12-2011)
Mark Morri, Clementine Cuneo and Janet Fife-Yeomans

Gallery of Fugitive Malcolm Naden

Police release digitally-enhanced photos of Malcolm Naden Police have released this digitally-enhanced photograph of wanted man Malcolm Naden

Police have released digitally-enhanced photos of Australia's most wanted man in the hope they may jog someone's memory of seeing him. Malcolm Naden, 38, is wanted on warrants for the murder of a 24-year-old woman in Dubbo in June 2005 and an aggravated indecent assault against a 15-year-old girl.
It is also hoped he can assist police with their inquiries into the disappearance of a 24-year-old woman at Dubbo in January 2005.
A search for Naden continues this afternoon in bushland near Nowendoc, in NSW, after a police officer was shot near what is suspected to have been Naden’s campsite yesterday morning.
"Nowendoc, whilst a relatively isolated area, is popular with bushwalkers and other tourists and we’re asking anyone who has visited the area in recent months whether they might have seen Malcolm Naden," said Acting Deputy Commissioner-Specialist Operations, David Hudson.
"The search for Naden remains in full force in the Nowendoc area, but we’re also asking for the community’s help in establishing where he might have hiding before police located his campsite."
The search involves experienced tactical officers from the State Protection Group, who are trained in bush skills, with assistance from police dogs, the Police Airwing, Homicide Squad detectives and local area command resources.
Police believe Naden is still on foot, but have been hampered in their search efforts by rugged terrain and bad weather.
The extensive search operation continued in bushland throughout yesterday and overnight, and officers are again combing the area today.
Members of the police special squads - kitted up and with dogs - have joined the search.
Police are now urging rural residents in the Nowendoc area to remain vigilant by ensuring their homes are secure and reporting any suspicious activity to Triple Zero (000).
Police believe Naden is armed and ask people not to approach him under any circumstances.
Naden is described as being 177 centimetres tall with a medium build, brown eyes and possibly a moustache and/or beard.

The Daily Telegraph (8-12-2011)
Mark Morri

MAKO/Files Online.. Listing Australian Convicted Paedophiles/ Sex Offenders/ Child Killers.. FREE Public Service..

NSW's most wanted may be hiding in caves

NSW's most wanted man Malcolm Naden - dubbed "a nasty piece of work" - is believed to be hiding out in wild bushland on the state's mid-north coast.
Police Minister Michael Daley has announced the state is doubling its reward to $100,000 for information leading to his capture.
Naden, 37, is alleged to have murdered Kristy Scholes, a 24-year-old mother of two in Dubbo on June 21 or 22, 2005.
Ms Scholes was found dead in her home in Dubbo.
Naden is also a suspect in the disappearance of his cousin Laches Nolan and the alleged aggravated indecent assault of a 15-year-old girl in Dubbo in May 2004.
"He's one of the people we really want to find, that's why we're doubling this reward," Mr Daley said on Saturday in Sydney.
Naden - "a nasty piece of work" - needed to understand that police would never stop looking for him, they would never close this file, they would "hunt him until the day he dies", he said.
Detective Superintendent Peter Cope said that police were not sure of Naden's present location.
"In 2007-2008 we can definitely put him in the Barrington Tops region on the mid-north coast of NSW," Supt Cope said.
The police have fingerprint and DNA evidence linking Naden to break-ins in the area.
"It would be our supposition that he is acting alone. We're talking about the Barrington Tops region, we're talking about extremely rugged piece of terrain," he said.
Supt Cope said it was a vast area of multiple cave systems and that Naden had developed considerable bush skills over the years to have stayed at large for so long.

AAP (22-2-2011)

Bounty on Naden's head now $100k

The State’s most wanted fugitive, Malcolm Naden, who’s believed to be hiding out in bushland on the Mid North Coast, now has a $100,000 bounty on his head.
The murder suspect and experienced bushman has eluded capture for six years now, prompting the State Government to double the reward for information on his whereabouts.
Police want to arrest the 37-year-old in relation to the murder of 24-year-old mother of two Kristy Scholes, whose strangled body was found in Naden’s bedroom in Dubbo.
Naden is also wanted for questioning over the disappearance of his 24-year-old cousin, Lateesha Nolan, on January 4, 2005, and the alleged aggravated indecent assault of a 15-year-old girl between May 12 and 15, 2004.
Minister for Police Michael Daley said he hoped the increased reward would encourage someone to come forward and provide Kristy’s and Lateesha’s families with closure.
“Police will never give up on finding Naden. They will not stop investigating sightings; they will not put the file on the shelf,” he said.
In 2007, Naden became the first fugitive since Ned Kelly in 1879 to attract a bounty.
“He is not a Ned Kelly-like folk hero. He is an alleged murderer and child molester – and he should face a jury of his peers,” Mr Daley said.
Naden is described as being 177 centimetres tall, 85 kilograms and of medium build.
The alleged double murderer was apparently last sighted at Bellbrook, west of Kempsey, in 2009. He has also been known to be in the Barrington Tops area.
Anyone with information should contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

AAP (22-2-2011)

MAKO/Files Online.. Listing Australian Convicted Paedophiles/ Sex Offenders/ Child Killers.. FREE Public Service..

More Wanted Offenders

Australian News
Safety For Women
Sex Offenders- Electronic Tagging
Chemical Castration
Community Notification

Search on: Google - Google USENET - Yahoo - AltaVista - All the Web - Gigablast - HotBot - Lycos - Teoma - WiseNut

Copyright © MAKO 2011. All Rights Reserved. Legal/Disclaimer/ Privacy/ Terms Of Use.