Boy, 8, Assaulted In Park
AN eight-year-old boy was indecently assaulted while kicking
a soccer ball in a park near his Eastwood home.
It is believed the attacker had been loitering for the past
week in the Main St Reserve, which is next to a
child care centre.
Police yesterday revealed details of the attack, which
occurred between 4.30pm and 5.30pm on Tuesday.
Inspector John Gerlach, of Adelaide CIB, said the victim
The boy was playing alone when he was approached by the
man who "struck up a conversation with the boy and
subsequently indecently assaulted him", police said.
The man was not known to the child and the boy was
not injured in the assault.
As the boy ran home, the man left the area on foot.
Police said the attacker "had been seen in the area
the previous week" but had not been linked to any
Police are still working with the family of the
victim to get more information about the attack.
Eastwood resident Sam Chapman, 38, said it was a
matter of concern that the offender had been
loitering in the park.
"It isn't good to think this bloke has been
hanging around for a while," Mr Chapman said.
"It is a very popular park with all of the
people who live in the street - there are
always kids and families enjoying it."
Insp Gerlach said police notified the
public at the first opportunity.
The offender is described as being in his
late 30s to early 40s with a dark complexion,
clean-shaven and black, collar-length, hair
which was thinning on top.
He was about 178cm tall, of medium build and
had an "Australian accent".
At the time of the assault, the man was wearing
a dark blue cotton shirt and either
blue jeans or trousers.
Anyone who witnessed the incident or who
has seen a man matching the description in
the area in the previous week should contact
Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.