More Charges For Accused Killers
ANOTHER 56 charges have been laid against three youths accused of
a triple slaying in Toowoomba, including including rape, torture and
deprivation of liberty.
A 17-year-old from Rockhampton and two 16-year-old youths from Rockhampton
and Toowoomba who cannot be named, faced Toowoomba Magistrates Court yesterday
on charges of murdering three men early on Tuesday.
Police today said the three teens were last night charged with another 56
offences between them.
The 17-year-old faces a further seven counts of deprivation of liberty, seven
counts of torture, five counts of rape and one count each of rape, robbery
with violence and unlawful use of a motor vehicle.
One 16-year-old faces seven counts of deprivation of liberty, seven counts
of torture, four counts of rape, as well as attempted rape, robbery with
violence and unlawful use of a motor vehicle.
The other 16-year-old also faces multiples charges of torture and
deprivation of liberty.
The three have been remanded in custody to reappear in Toowoomba
Magistrates Court today.
Michael Ross Thompson, 30, and David James Lyons and
Tyson Robert Wilson, both 17, were found brutally bashed
in a unit block in the south-east Queensland city
about 1am on Tuesday.
They had been beaten so badly around the head with a
heavy object that police needed dental records to
make a positive identification.
Yesterday, as Toowoomba Magistrate Bruce Schemioneck
read the murder charges, the three youths – handcuffed
and wearing brown tracksuits – pulled faces, joked and laughed.
Prosecutor Greg Lewis asked for an adjournment. "There
are further charges to come . . . and I'm assured (police)
will only need until tomorrow to have them prepared," he said.
Mr Schemioneck granted an adjournment and remanded
the three in custody to reappear at 9am today.
Outside the court, family and friends of Mr Thompson
fought to control their anger. Darren Thomas said Mr
Thompson was his best mate. "He's the one who held my
baby for the first time and the guys that did it – I
just don't understand why," he said.
"I still see his face in my mind – he was a great man."
Mr Thomas said the violent nature of the crime had left
Mr Thompson's family in shock.
"His parents can't even identify his body. It's
unbelievable. It's unthinkable," he said. "He was
built like a skeleton. He could not harm anybody."
Mr Thomas said he saw TV reports about the murders
on Tuesday morning and recognised Mr Thompson's unit.
"I saw the back yard with women's clothing on the line and I
knew it was his place," he said. "I walked in there earlier
(on Monday) and Michael (Thompson) was there playing a board
game with the kids."
Mr Thomas said Mr Thompson helped street kids and let them
stay at his Hume St address. He denied speculation the triple
murder was drug-related.
"Michael was never into drugs – they hated drugs," he said.