Missing Persons - Kim Teer
The purpose of this website/ information is to promote public awareness/ protection, prevent you and those close to you from the potential dangers posed by individuals who have committed sex offences in the past and to deter sex offenders from offending/ re- offending. Any criminal actions taken by persons against the offenders named within this site, may result in arrest and prosecution of those persons.

Home    About MAKO    Services    Contact    Prevention    MAKO/Files    Community Notification    Report    Referral    Profile's    Facts/ Stats    Online Dangers    Child Safety    MAKO Petitions    Research/ Resources    Books    DNA Info
Safety For Women    News/ Articles    Your Comments    Australian Politicians/ Contacts    Join    Sponsors    Donations    Links

Missing Children/ Persons and unsolved cases do not close.
Often new information is received, even without new information Senior Detectives still review cases on a regular basis.
If you have any information please contact CrimeStoppers: 1800 333 000

Reward of $100,000 for information on missing teen Kim Teer

If only she didn’t go to Melbourne. If only someone saw what happened.
For the family of missing teenager Kim Teer, the ‘if onlys’ are almost as painful as the mystery surrounding her disappearance.
But 34 years on, Ms Teer’s disappearance is the subject of a cold case investigation by Victoria Police, who this week announced a $100,000 reward in a bid to find out exactly what happened to the 17-year-old beauty.
Her mum, Bathurst woman Colleen Holding, said she was praying someone comes forward with information about Ms Teer, who disappeared from East Melbourne some time between September and October 1979.
Ms Holding said her greatest wish is for her daughter’s remains to be found, so she can be buried with dignity.
Ms Holding said the pain of losing her only child never goes away.
“It’s a feeling of despair. I just want it resolved one way or another.”
She described her daughter as a smart and independent girl, who had just finished school and was setting off on an adventure before settling down to start a career. Ms Teer left Port Macquarie in 1978 with a friend and her beloved dog, Crosby, a black and white border collie.
“She wanted to see the world. It was 1979, and I thought it was quite a reasonable thing,” Ms Holding said.
“I certainly didn’t hold fears for her safety; she was a sensible girl and she was looking for some excitement before she settled down to work.”
Ms Holding said her daughter was very close to her family and, despite travelling around Australia, constantly kept in touch, writing to her mother on a weekly basis, phoning when she could and sending telegrams.
One of the last pieces of correspondence Ms Holding received from her daughter was a letter saying she was living with a couple and helping them clean out a relative’s house in Darling Street, East Melbourne.
However, after not hearing from her daughter for two weeks after her 18th birthday on October 15, Ms Holding knew something was wrong.
She sent a telegram to the post office asking Ms Teer to ring her urgently. Later, when Ms Holding went to Melbourne to search for her daughter, she was told the man Ms Teer was living with had collected the telegram.
“There are so many questions unanswered about what happened,” Ms Holding said.
“The last two people who saw her alive [the couple she lived with, who went on to have a child and then separated] gave conflicting statements to the police.
“He said there was an argument and Kim packed her gear and was heading to South Australia.
“The woman said Kim was coming home.
“They said the argument was over a piece of clothing, which just doesn’t make sense.”
At the time of Ms Teer’s disappearance, there was no such thing as a missing persons unit, so Ms Holding searched for her daughter.
“We went as far as Perth looking for her; we did everything we could,” she said.
Ms Holding is hoping the $100,000 reward will convince someone with information to come forward to police.
“If anyone knows anything please ring the police. Even if they noticed Crosby [Ms Teer’s dog] it could give the police a location to work with,” she said.
Crime Stoppers can be contacted on 1800 333 000.

www.westernadvocate.com.au (30-9-2013)
Jacinta Carroll

Reward for 1979 cold case of Kim Teer

In the hopes of solving the mystery of missing teenager Kim Teer who vanished more than 30 years ago Victoria Police have announced a $100,000 reward for information that could lead to a conviction.
The cold case reward has been offered for information that could lead to an arrest and conviction of anyone responsible for the the Port Macquarie teenager’s disappearance in 1979.
Ms Teer, then aged 17, and her border collie Crosbie, were last seen in East Melbourne in September 1979.
She had been hitchhiking around Australia and spent time picking fruit in Mildura, Renmark and Berri before catching a ride to Western Australia in April 1979.
But authorities believe she had returned to Victoria before she vanished.
She is believed to have stayed in a unit in Simpson Street, East Melbourne while cleaning a Darling Street property nearby.
While travelling Ms Teer regularly wrote to her mother and in her final letter spoke of how she feared hitchhiking and asked for her birth certificate to get a driver’s license, police say.
Her mother reported her missing to NSW Police in December 1979 when she did not make contact following her 18th birthday.
Homicide Squad detectives believe Kim may have met with foul play while in Melbourne.
Last year Kim’s family and Victoria Police made a renewed appeal for information and Detective Inspector John Potter said they had not given up hope of solving this case.
"Circumstances change and people’s lives change," Inspector Potter said in a statement.
"Someone who may not have felt comfortable coming forward with information previously may now be in a position to do so.
"We hope that by announcing this reward today it may give someone even more impetus to come forward."
He said that for more than 32 years Ms Teer’s family had been "haunted by her disappearance".
"We would like to solve the mystery and provide them with the answers they need to move on with their lives," he said.
Detectives were sure that Ms Teer met with foul play during her travels and was killed in October, Inspector Potter said.
But they have exhausted all leads and are unable to continue the investigation without fresh information.
"We believe she’s been killed, probably somewhere in Victoria, possibly in the immediate area of Melbourne," he said.
"Somewhere between September and October she’s met with foul play. We don’t know why."
Inspector Potter said Ms Teer was a "free willed" young woman who decided to travel around Australia at a young age, which, even in the 1970s was not a safe thing to do alone.
"I don’t think families ever get closure, I think at best they get some answers, and that’s what they’re after," he said.
Police can offer confidentiality to callers, Inspector Potter said.
Investigators would like to speak to anyone who has any information about Kim’s disappearance or had any contact with her between August and October 1979.
Anyone with any information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers 1800 333 000 or via the website at www.crimestoppers.com.au.

www.theage.com.au (23-9-2013)
Rania Spooner

NSW teen Kim Teer vanished on 'bucket list' quest
A police image of Kim Teer, who dispappeared in suspicious cicumstances from East Melbourne in 1979 aged 17.

NSW teenager Kim Teer had been on a mission across Australia to complete her bucket list before her 18th birthday. But three decades later, with no sign of the adventurous teenager and police now fearing foul play, her mother is painfully aware of how foreboding her daughter's last ambitious goal would turn out to be.
"At first I found it very difficult to believe that anything could have happened," her mother Colleen Holding said today, 32 years since Kim's last known sighting in Melbourne.
"But then I'd think to myself after a time that if I could bury her I'd be much happier because I envy people who can bury their children - and that's a terrible thing to say."
Kim's mother has returned to Melbourne for one last appeal for help, hoping that someone will finally call police.
In 1978, Kim had left her home near Port Macquarie, NSW, with a friend and her dog.
"She wanted to do her bucket list at 18," Ms Holding said.
The teenager hitchhiked from coast to coast, finding work on a trawling ship, picking Queensland fruit and travelling through Perth and the Northern Territory before finally ending up in Melbourne.
It was during her brief stay with a couple in an East Melbourne home in September 1979 that the trail goes cold.
Police say the version of events they've been told of her time at the Simpson St residence is incomplete and still doesn't explain what happened to Kim.
Detective Inspector John Potter, head of Victoria's homicide squad, said there are a number of persons of interest and the case is still quite solvable despite the time period that's elapsed.
"I think it clearly is foul play," he said.
"We're talking 32 years when nobody's heard from her. She's never touched her bank account in that time. ... She hasn't corresponded with her family when she had been doing that regularly. And she missed her 18th birthday - and that is highly unusual."
Police say those who come forward and explain Kim's disappearance don't need to be fearful and will be giving closure to a grieving family.
"One phone call would make all the difference," Kim's mother said.
"I'm 71 and it would be lovely to be able to at least have a shower without crying, and at least to go to bed without having nightmares."

www.news.com.au (20-4-2012)

MAKO/Files Online.. Listing Australian Convicted Paedophiles/ Sex Offenders/ Child Killers.. FREE Public Service..

Australian News
Wanted Offenders
Safety For Women
Sex Offenders- Electronic Tagging
Victim Assistance/ eferral
Community Notification


Copyright © MAKO 2010. All Rights Reserved. Legal/Disclaimer/ Privacy/ Terms Of Use.