Missing Children - James “Jimmy” Patrick Taylor
The purpose of this website/ information is to promote public awareness/ protection, prevent you and those close to you from the potential dangers posed by individuals who have committed sex offences in the past and to deter sex offenders from offending/ re- offending. Any criminal actions taken by persons against the offenders named within this site, may result in arrest and prosecution of those persons.

Home    About MAKO    Services    Contact    Prevention    MAKO/Files    Community Notification    Report    Referral    Profile's    Facts/ Stats    Online Dangers    Child Safety    MAKO Petitions    Research/ Resources    Books    DNA Info
Safety For Women    News/ Articles    Your Comments    Australian Politicians/ Contacts    Join    Sponsors    Donations    Links

Missing Children/ Persons and unsolved cases do not close.
Often new information is received, even without new information Senior Detectives still review cases on a regular basis.
If you have any information please contact CrimeStoppers: 1800 333 000

WA coronial inquest probing the 1974 disappearance of 12-year-old boy James Patrick Taylor in Derby

Jimmy Taylor was 12 when he went to the shops in Derby in August 1974. He was never seen again.

James “Jimmy” Patrick Taylor was a “mature and spirited” 12-year-old boy who loved music and would never have run away from home, a coronial inquest has heard.
Convicted child killer James Ryan O'Neill.
Jimmy disappeared after visiting a Derby shop, in Western Australia’s Kimberley region, in August 1974.
His body was never found and no one was ever charged over his death.
However, police began re-examining the case when a television documentary in 2006 revealed child killer James Ryan O’Neill had been living in Derby at the time.
A coronial inquest is looking into the cold case disappearance of 12-year-old Jimmy Taylor in 1974.
O’Neill, who was born Leigh Anthony Bridgart, was convicted of murdering a boy in Tasmania in 1975 and remains behind bars.
Now, more than 40 years after Jimmy went missing, a coronial inquest is examining whether he is dead and, if so, how he may have died.
Counsel assisting the coroner Catherine Fitzgerald told the inquest in her opening address on Wednesday that when James failed to return home, the family assumed he was with friends. His father reported him missing six days later.
“The prevailing view of police was that Jimmy had run away from his unhappy home environment,” she said.
There were four sightings of Jimmy, but he was never found and police did not keep depositions, the inquest heard.
Jimmy’s mother, Evelyn, told the inquest she did not believe her “happy-go-lucky” son would run away and would never have travelled with a stranger.
His sister, Lynette Henderson-Yates, testified Jimmy was “mature and spirited”, and had “definitely not” run away from his close family.
Ms Henderson-Yates, a former deputy vice chancellor, said all her siblings had jobs and were well-educated because they had a strict upbringing.
Although her father had a drinking problem, he was not usually violent and had never smacked her, although he did occasionally use a strap on some others.
“You couldn’t say it was a severe belting,” she said.
“(It was) very common back then for families to smack their children.”
Ms Henderson-Yates said her mother cried every night for many years after Jimmy disappeared.
She said the family needed closure and it was “unsettling” to not have a body to bury following Aboriginal customs.
Another sister, Heather Winifred Taylor, said the family fell apart due to the trauma and her father continued to make inquiries about Jimmy a decade later.
Detectives interviewed O’Neill in Tasmania in February 2012, but he denied involvement in Jimmy’s disappearance.
On top of his murder conviction, O’Neill was initially charged with murdering another boy in Tasmania in 1975, and was suspected of other abductions and attempted abductions, the inquest heard.
As Bridgart, O’Neill faced 17 charges related to the abductions and indecent assaults of four boys in Victoria in 1971 but fled while on bail, Ms Fitzgerald said.
Detective Mark Cunningham said O’Neill remained a person of interest in Jimmy’s disappearance, but there were no other avenues of investigation.
The inquest continues.

www.news.com.au (8-10-2014)

Survivor wants justice for Jimmy

A Tasmanian man who escaped the clutches of one of Australia's most notorious child killers has broken his 30-year silence in support of a Derby woman who believes the same man is responsible for the 1974 disappearance of her brother.
Tom Parremore, 47, broke down as he described the trauma of his abduction by James Ryan O'Neill in Tasmania on April 18, 1975, admitting it had affected him deeply and still caused him anxiety attacks.
About the same time Mr Parremore was abducted, O'Neill murdered two other Tasmanian children, taking them to remote bush and smashing their heads with a rock.
Just before moving to Tasmania, O'Neill spent three years living in the Kimberley and was a resident of Derby on August 29, 1974, when 12-year-old Jimmy Taylor was last seen leaving a local shop. A witness said Jimmy was taken away in a car driven by a white man. Jimmy's family is convinced that man was O'Neill.
Jimmy's sister Lynnette Henderson-Yates has pleaded for police to re-examine the case.
Mr Parremore was adamant O'Neill would have been involved in Jimmy's disappearance.
"This bloke is so cold, callous, calculated . . . I want him kept in prison," he said. "I know what that bastard is like . . . he's a cold-hearted killer."
Aged just 10 when he was taken, Mr Parremore was walking alone in the Hobart suburb of Sorell when O'Neill pulled up next to him in a green station wagon. The killer claimed to be a policeman from out of town who was delivering an envelope to the local station and convinced Mr Parremore to go with him to help him find the station.
"There was nothing suspect about him at all . . . I got in the car and we went down Arthur Street. I told him to turn right up the main road and he said 'no', he was going to the left. The way he said it, I could feel it was wrong . . . he made a chill go down my spine," Mr Parremore said.
"That's when I worked out it was turning to s… . . . I started panicking as any 10-year-old would and started screaming for my mum."
Mr Parremore hit out at the passenger side door, which swung open. As he tried to jump out of the moving car, O'Neill grabbed his arm and yanked him back in.
"I had to look for another way out . . . so I slammed my foot on the brakes . . . I made the car stop," Mr Parremore said.
He ran home and told his mother, but asked her not to report the incident because he still believed O'Neill was a police officer. A few weeks later, O'Neill was arrested for murder and Mr Parremore contacted a policeman he knew. "He took my statement and then the s… hit the fan," he said. "O'Neill was caught. I identified him."
For years, Mr Parremore buried the memories of his ordeal, but a recent car accident brought them flooding back. He now suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder.
O'Neill, who is serving a life jail sentence, refused to comment.
Police from the Special Crime Squad travelled to Broome last week to interview Jimmy's family.

au.news.yahoo.com (26-12-2011)
Flip Prior/ Sean Cowan

Missing boy's case linked to Tassie child killer

The family of a Kimberley boy who went missing almost 40 years ago believe one of Australia's most notorious child killers is responsible for his abduction and murder.
Jimmy Taylor was last seen leaving a shop in Derby on August 29, 1974, and was reported to have climbed into a car with a white man.
His family reported him missing one week later.
The mystery has baffled police but the family's recent discovery of a documentary covering the life of Tasmanian child killer James Ryan O'Neill has convinced them he is responsible for Jimmy's disappearance.
O'Neill, who was born Leigh Anthony Bridgart, left a trail of sexual assault allegations in his wake as he moved across Australia in the 1960s and 1970s.
In 1971, he was arrested and charged with 12 counts of abducting and indecently assaulting four boys in separate incidents in Melbourne.
He was released on bail and fled to the Kimberley, where he called himself O'Neill.
In late 1974, he moved to Tasmania with his new wife and within months he was arrested over the murders of two young boys. Police believe he tried to abduct at least two other children in the weeks between the separate disappearances.
O'Neill was convicted of murdering the first boy and was not tried for the second after being given a life sentence.
In a statement given to police after O'Neill's arrest, his wife Carol said they had lived in Derby for just a few months from June to November in 1974.
The revelation prompted Jimmy's sister Lynette Henderson-Yates, now deputy vice-chancellor at the Broome campus of the University of Notre Dame, to contact police. She claims they have told her the case is too old to investigate.
"I don't believe he ran away," she said. "The fact that O'Neill arrived in Derby and Jimmy went missing in August is too coincidental.
"The police told Mum that Jimmy had just gone walkabout and they weren't too concerned. That was the attitude in 1974.
"I spoke to the special crime squad about three years ago because they had just been formed to look at special cases.
"They said it was too long ago, but a month later in the newspaper there was a story about them investigating a 19-year-old girl who went missing from Nanutarra Roadhouse the year after Jimmy disappeared.
"I thought, 'Why is that case OK to investigate and Jimmy's case is too old?' There was never even a coronial inquiry. That should have at least been done."
Det-Insp. Casey Prinns, from the special crime squad, said the case had been reviewed and was an ongoing investigation.
He asked anyone with information to contact police or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
'The police told Mum that Jimmy had just gone walkabout and they weren't too concerned.

au.news.yahoo.com (26-11-2011)
Flip Prior/ Sean Cowan

MAKO/Files Online.. Listing Australian Convicted Paedophiles/ Sex Offenders/ Child Killers.. FREE Public Service..

Australian News
Wanted Offenders
Safety For Women
Sex Offenders- Electronic Tagging
Victim Assistance/ Referral
Community Notification

Search on: Google - Google USENET - Yahoo - AltaVista - All the Web - Gigablast - HotBot - Lycos - Teoma - WiseNut

Copyright © MAKO 2010. All Rights Reserved. Legal/Disclaimer/ Privacy/ Terms Of Use.